Howdy, Come On In!

My Mom and Dad would welcome our family guests by meeting them at the front door, shaking their hand, and offering them a seat. That is what I want to do, tell you to come on in, stay a spell, relax, and enjoy my hospitality while your here. When you got to go, then "Ya'll come back now"!

Saturday, April 15, 2017

In Your Easter Bonnet...

So this is the Easter Season!  He Is Risen!
When I was a little girl, Easter was really a special event! It meant Spring, warmer days, sometimes new clothes or shoes.  It meant Easter bonnets or the cute wide hairbands with flowers, lace or ribbons on it.  It meant Easter baskets with candy eggs, dyed hard boiled eggs and fun hunting them. It meant photos of loved ones.

It was Easter that I got my first pair of "high heels" they were black with a 1 inch heel and made me feel so grown up.  It was Easter that I convinced my Dad to let me wear a smidgen of make up, a little lipstick and mascara.  We dressed up with gloves, hat and our best outfits.  With 5 children, not everyone got new dresses, Mom very seldom did, but we were all clean, and ready to go to church.

Church was where Dad was the ruler..if you misbehaved at church you were taken outside and spanked and brought back inside where you more than likely went to sleep.  Church was where we sang "Up From The Grave He Arose".. and "The Old Rugged Cross", and "At the Cross"...

Then we'd come home to a chicken dinner, Mom either baked chicken after she got the fancy new stove with a timer on it and could program our Sunday Dinner, and we would have baked chicken smothered in mushroom soup, or pot roast with French onion soup poured over it and roasted to perfection!

Granny would join us after her church service, it was Easter that Mary and she both had red dresses and even red shoes.  We took photos of the two of them.

It seems like the older I get, the better and sweeter the memories of childhood are.   Just as the song says "Precious Memories how they linger, how they ever flood my soul"

No comments:

Post a Comment