Howdy, Come On In!

My Mom and Dad would welcome our family guests by meeting them at the front door, shaking their hand, and offering them a seat. That is what I want to do, tell you to come on in, stay a spell, relax, and enjoy my hospitality while your here. When you got to go, then "Ya'll come back now"!

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Not Getting Older, I'm Getting Better!

Having a bran new blog is like having sex for the first time, I'm so inexperienced and nieve, that I haven't a clue what's going on!  But that's ok, because I intend to learn and thanks to my ingenius, good looking, smart, and dear husband, I have the opportunity to learn.  He was the first person to interest me in sex, and he is the first person who got me interested in blogging. (tehehee!)  This is a blog I have created from the folks at Google.  I use gmail as my email, and they have lots of other good stuff too.
No joke, ya'll, he got into computers over a score of years ago, (lets see how many of you know that number!) and he started learning, investing in, and building (in our own home, mind you), computers way back in 1997, or so.  I say, 'or so' because we started out with our first computer way back in the '80s with the "VIC 20" by Commodore, "the Friendly Computer", it says on the box.  How many of ya'll remember it?  It had a keyboard, and in order to use it, it had to be connected to the television.  As I remember, it had cassette tapes to insert into it to give it commands.  My dear daughters loved playing a game on it about being lost in dracula's castle.  I don't think they ever solved to that game.

He bought these big old computer books then (the '80s), huge things they were.  They were red in color, and about 15x11x4, I'm guessing, and all about the early years of computing.  You know the feeling that if you'd only been at the right place in the right time, it could have been you?  Well he got the computer bug, probably about the same time Bill Gates, and Steve Jobs got the bug, but...the rest, as they say, is history.  I remember that he worked in the library of the Trinity University in San Antonio when the computer was a huge monstrasity and he had punch cards to insert some way.  It could have been then that he got an interest in computing.

However it happened, it is because of his interest in computers that every member in our family now have access to a computer, he either built or recommended in some way. I'm talking about in-laws and out-laws.  He built these cute little "Barbie" computers for our two oldest granddaughters.  They were painted a pretty silver with pink "Barbie slippers" appliques and stickers on them.  They were just small gaming computers, but he specially built them with his granddaughters in mind.  Just the way he built the play houses and doll houses for his daughters as they were growing up, he designed computers for his grandchildren too.  The grandsons' computers had all the blinking lights, high speed, and bells, and whistles, that boys want too. We probably have close to two dozen computers, or more that he built over the past eleven years! (Did I say he is generous!)  That's a lot of computers!

I'm saying all this because as my title suggests, I'm approaching retirement age, and my husband has already retired, as of May 6, 2011!  I'm getting all this nice stuff out of the way so I can refer to it later on when I need to vent about how 'our' retirement is going.  I dreamed about having a blog, no really, I had a dream about it last night.  It was going to be about retirement from the view point of a baby boomerHowever, when I clicked on the link to start up this blog, I didn't know it would ask me all kinds of questions about adding gadgets and extra links, or photos or what ever, so again have patience with me as I learn, and by the way, if you have links you'd like me to add or mention, let me know, I'll sure do it!

So that's about it for now, my husband just woke up from his afternoon nap, and we talked about going fishing this evening.  Ahhh, this is the life, well we'll see...

Ya'll come back now!
AnnieOakley

 

No comments:

Post a Comment